The Metropolitan Police has named the man responsible for the London Bridge terror attack as Usman Khan, a 28-year-old from Staffordshire who killed two people and injured at least three more seriously. The man wearing a fake suicide vest, went on a rampage at a criminal justice seminar he was attending in central London.

Iran Press/Europe: Neil Basu, the Metropolitan Police's assistant commissioner, said his team were carrying out searches at the suspect's residence but believe that he was acting alone.

Usman Khan was convicted in 2012 for his role in the Stock Exchange plot, a Christmas bomb attack on the London Stock Exchange, the American embassy and the home of Boris Johnson, who was then the London mayor, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Khan pleaded guilty to preparing acts of terrorism.

Khan, along with two co-conspirators, originally received an indeterminate sentence for public protection but this was quashed at the Court of Appeal in April 2013 and he was given a 16-year jail term. In February 2012, Khan was ordered to serve at least eight years in prison.

An urgent review has been ordered into why he had been released early under license.

On Friday the incident began just before 2 pm on Friday, when the attacker, who had been attending the Learning Together criminal justice conference at Fishmongers’ Hall on London Bridge began stabbing fellow delegates with two large knives.

It is understood the former prisoner, who was still on license and whose movements and travel was restricted, had been given permission to attend the event along with other convicted criminals.

The killer is thought to have attended the morning session, taking part in various workshops, in which he described his experiences as a prisoner, before launching his deadly attack without warning just before 2 pm.

Despite the fact he was wearing a fake suicide belt and threatening to blow himself up, the attacker was bravely challenged, including by at least one former prisoner, who was also attending the event.

After running out of Fishmongers’ Hall, onto London Bridge, the attacker was dragged to the ground, with passersby also joining to restrain him and prevent more carnage.

Five minutes after the alarm was first raised, armed officers from the City of London Police arrived on the scene and after pulling members of the public off the man, shot him dead.


Read More:

London Bridge: Stabber shot by police after knife attack