Jan 10, 2019 18:03 Asia/Tehran

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced US President Donald Trump's willingness to take military action in Syria again.

Iran Press/Middle East: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's remarks comes as the US prepares its troops for withdrawal from Syria, which Pompeo said will go ahead despite criticism.

Speaking in Cairo as part of a Middle East tour to reassure leaders that the US will maintain some sort of presence in the region, Pompeo declared that the US is still open to intervention in Syria, but he hoped that Trump won’t have to,” Iran Press reported.

"When America retreats, chaos follows,... America will not retreat until the terror fight is over," Pompeo claimed.

Trump claimed that ISIS defeated and the US’ mission in Syria accomplished in December, and announced that the roughly 2,000 US troops there would be brought home.

Related News:

Contradictory stances of Trump officials vis-a-vis withdrawal from Syria: Commentary

Even within the Trump administration, key officials sought to temper Trump’s announcement. National Security Adviser John Bolton said that the withdrawal would only occur after the US had drawn up a contingency plan with its allies in the region to protect Kurdish fighters in Syria from Turkish forces, and to contain Iranian influence in the war-stricken country.

Related News:

Trump’s Syria withdrawal now comes with conditions, Bolton says

Pompeo struck a similar tone on Thursday, declaring that the US will still carry out airstrikes in Syria as the need arises, and will not completely abandon the region.

US President Donald Trump

On the morning of 7 April 2017, the United States launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea into Syria, aimed at Shayrat Airbase in Homs Province controlled by the Syrian government. The strike was executed under responsibility of US President Donald Trump, as he claimed a direct response to the 'Khan Shaykhun' alleged chemical attack that occurred on 4 April.

Soon world find that a poisonous gas contamination in the Syrian town of Khan Sheikhoun was the result of gas leaking from a terrorist group chemical weapons depot.

Again on 13 Apr 2018, US President announced that he ordered the US military to conduct precision missile strikes against the Syrian 'chemical facilities' for what he claimed "in retaliation for a chemical attack executed against its citizens a weak later. An excuse that trump used in April 2017.

On 14 April 2018, beginning at 04:00 Syrian time the United States, France, and the United Kingdom carried out a series of military strikes involving aircraft and ship-based missiles against multiple sites in Syria.

Based on UN Chemical Monitors Syria government had no role in the chemical attack.

In the last month of 2018 despite Trump’s announcement that he will withdraw US troops from Syria, American strikes in the east of the country have increased.

Related News:

New US-Led coalition airstrike in Syria's Deir Ezzor, kills 40 civilians

This was revealed after statistics of civilian's death in US airstrikes increased and an investigation on 5 January 2019 found that US attack on what US Army claims will target ISIS positions in eastern Syria increased.

Meanwhile, the US-led international coalition in Syria admitted on 3 January 2019 that it had killed 11 civilians from one family, including a child in Deir Ez-Zour.

On 30 Dec 2018 , the US military admitted that it had killed 1,139 civilians in Iraq and Syria since the so-called 'campaign against ISIS' in 2014.

This figure is significantly smaller than the estimates of civilian casualties made by monitoring groups, with one group – Airwars – saying that between 7,308 and 11,629 civilians have been killed.

205/204

Read More:

Tens of civilians die in fresh US massacre at Deir Ezzor, Syria

Turkey calls on Russia, Iran to jointly control US exit from Syria

Regional Security will rise after the US withdrawal from Syria: Iran Top General

Tags

Comments