• Araqchi:

Tehran decides based on logic and it will not be affected by Pompeo's provocations, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs Abbas Araqchi said on Friday reacting to the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's claims that Iran is unable to resume its nuclear activities.

Iran News: Speaking with reporters, Abbas Araqchi reacted to the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's claims that Iran is unable to resume nuclear activities and described his claims as 'provocative.'

Araqchi added that Iran is ready for all scenarios and it can resume nuclear activities with maximum speed immediately, Iran Press reported.

He said in the meantime, Iran expects European countries to speed up efforts to create a financial mechanism for doing business with Iran -- the Special Purpose Vehicle, or SPV. Speaking about Iran's capacity to resume its nuclear activities, he said Iran's nuclear activities have not stopped altogether, and that Iran has only accepted some 'limitations' upon its nuclear activities.

Asked when the European Union's SPV's for financial transaction with Iran will become operational, Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Political Affairs noted that the political will to establish a special financial channel exists among European countries, who are opposed  to unlawful US' sanctions and want to preserve the nuclear deal.

"Because of the US dollar's dominance in Europe's financial system, establishing an independent financial mechanism for doing business with Iran that does not involve the US dollar is a little bit complicated and takes time to establish", Araqchi said. Iran will stay in the nuclear agreement as long as its interests are safeguarded, the deputy foreign minister added.

US President Donald Trump announced in early May that Washington would pull out of the Iran nuclear deal and reinstate sanctions, which had been lifted under the accord.

Related news:

Iran’s nuclear chief: "Withdrawal from nuclear deal puts Trump on losing side”

Intelligence minister: Withdrawal from JCPOA discredited Trump and his administration

 

Also on November 06, Araqchi in an interview with IRINN channel 6 has emphasized that America's conduct vis-a-vis the JCPOA and the Islamic Republic of Iran are a very good indication of America's waning power and influence. He added: "From now on, it is going to be downhill for the US."

The first round of the sanctions snapped back into place in August, with the second round which will target the energy and oil sectors taking effect on November 5.

This is while other signatories to the deal (i.e. Britain, France, Germany, China and Russia) have thus far criticized Washington's unilateral move and repeatedly stressed their commitment to the deal. 208/103

Read more:

Zarif: "Pompeo blames Iran for unlawful US sanctions"

Jahangiri: Second round of sanctions demonstrate the failure of the US in the world

Commentary: Pompeo claims US efforts aren’t aimed at punishing the Iranian people

Tags

Nov 09, 2018 19:16 Asia/Tehran
Comments