One worker seriously injured in the initial explosion was confirmed dead after suffering head injuries and falling into a coma.

Iran Press/Asia: Eleven workers trapped for two weeks by an explosion inside a Chinese gold mine were brought safely to the surface on Sunday, Al Jazeera reported.

State broadcaster CCTV showed miners being hauled up one-by-one in baskets, their eyes shielded to protect them after so many days in darkness.

One worker was reported to have died from a head wound following the blast that deposited massive amounts of rubble in the shaft on January 10 while the mine was still under construction.

The fate of 10 others who were underground at the time is unknown. Authorities have detained mine managers for delaying reporting the accident.

The official China Daily said on its website that seven of the workers were able to walk to ambulances on their own.

State broadcaster CCTV showed numerous ambulances parked alongside engineering vehicles at the mine in Qixia, a jurisdiction under Yantai in Shandong province.

One man discovered on Sunday was in “extremely weak physical condition”, CCTV said. He was in a separate section of the mine from the 10 workers who had already established contact with rescuers.

Rescuers have been battling difficult conditions to help the workers. State broadcaster footage showed a small lift carriage lifted to the surface by a huge drill, accompanied by rescue workers. A masked man, who appeared unable to stand, was carried out.

Contact was first established a week ago with the group of 11 miners trapped in a section of the mine about 580 metres (1,900 feet) below the surface.

Rescue workers said on Friday it could take at least another two weeks to free them, citing a massive blockage that has delayed drilling efforts, according to state media.

The rescuers are trying to widen one of the shafts to eventually allow the workers to be brought up to the surface.

104

Read more:

China mine accident: Gas leak traps 23 miners underground