Venezuelan authorities have detained two US citizens working with a U.S. military veteran who has claimed responsibility for a failed armed incursion into the oil-producing country, President Nicolas Maduro said.

Iran PressAmerica: In a state television address, Maduro said that authorities arrested 13 terrorists on Monday involved in a plot he said was coordinated with Washington to enter the South American country via the Caribbean coast and oust him, Reuters reported.

Eight people were killed during the foiled incursion attempt on Sunday, Venezuelan authorities said.

"They were playing Rambo. They were playing hero," Maduro said, adding that Venezuelan authorities had caught wind of the plot before its execution.

Goudreau, who identified himself as an organizer of the invasion on Sunday, told Reuters on Monday that Berry and Denman were also involved.

"They’re working with me. Those are my guys," he said by telephone.

US State Department did not provide any immediate comment on the alleged arrests.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has repeatedly denounced groups receiving support from Colombia and the US, accusing them of seeking to undermine the stability of our homeland with violent actions. 

Last month, Maduro announced the mobilization of artillery in strategic areas to protect the country from incursion.

207/201

Read More:

Venezuela’s Army on high alert after stopping ‘invasion’ 

Cuba condemns thwarted terrorist attack against Venezuela