UNICEF: 2018, the deadliest year for Syrian Children
The United Nations children’s agency (UNICEF) has announced that 2018 was the deadliest year since 2011 for the children of Syria.
Iran Press/America: The United Nations children’s agency (UNICEF) said that more than 1,100 Syrian children were killed in 2018, making it the deadliest year since 2011, when foreign-sponsored militancy began in the Arab country.
In a statement on Monday, executive director 'Henrietta Fore' said UNICEF had been able to verify 1,106 child deaths from the conflict last year, warning that the true figure was likely to be even higher, Iran Press reported citing the official website of UNICEF.
"Today there exists an alarming misconception that the conflict in Syria is drawing quickly to a close – it is not. Children in parts of the country remain in as much danger as at any other time during the eight-year conflict," the statement added.
The statement went on to say: "In 2018 alone, 1106 children were killed in the fighting – the highest ever number of children killed in a single year since the start of the war. These are only the numbers that the UN has been able to verify, which means the true figures are likely to be much higher."
Armed conflict began in Syria in 2011. But the Syrian military, backed by Iran and Russia, has wrested back control of almost all the areas that had been seized by Western-backed terrorist and militant groups.