Boko Haram kills 60 in Nigeria
Amnesty International said an attack by the Boko Haram terrorist group on Nigeria’s northeastern town of Rann has left at least 60 people dead, denouncing Nigerian authorities for their failure to protect civilians.
Iran Press/Africa: The UK-based rights group said in a statement on Friday that the attack had been carried out on Rann in Borno State on Monday and that it "was the deadliest yet by Boko Haram."
“This attack on civilians who have already been displaced by the bloody conflict may amount to [a] possible war crime, and those responsible must be brought to justice,” said Osai Ojigho, Amnesty’s Nigeria director, according to Press TV.
She also condemned as “unacceptable” the Nigerian authorities’ failure to protect people.
“Witnesses told us that Nigerian soldiers [in the area] abandoned their posts the day before the attack, demonstrating the authorities’ utter failure to protect civilians,” she said.
Amnesty also analyzed satellite images that showed hundreds of structures burned in the east, south, and southeast of Rann.
“Using satellite imagery, we have also been able to confirm the mass burning of structures as Boko Haram unleashed a massive assault on Rann, most of which is now destroyed,” said Ojigho.
Boko Haram, whose name roughly translates as 'Western education is forbidden', pledged allegiance to the Takfiri ISIS group in 2015.
Boko Haram’s terrorist activity began in northeastern Nigeria from 2009 and apart from targeting soldiers and civilians, the Takfiri terrorists have also been blamed for using kidnapping as a weapon of war, seizing thousands of women and young girls as well as men and young boys.
Boko Haram’s nine-year militancy is estimated to have killed more than 27,000 people and forced 1.8 million others to flee their homes, also triggering a humanitarian crisis. 101/ 211 /202