Millions of Arbaeen mourners enter the city of Karbala in Iraq
The secretary of Karbala province's council, Mahfouz al-Tamimi, has said 15 million mourners and pilgrims have entered the Iraqi city of Karbala on Tuesday to take part in the culmination of mourning ceremonies for the chief of martyrs, Aba Abdollah al-Hussein (peace be upon him).
Middle East: According to an Iran Press report, the senior Karbala province official, Mahfouz al-Tamimi, said out of a total of 15 million pilgrims, an estimated four million are non-Iraqis, and the vast majority of non-Iraqi pilgrims are Iranians.
The deputy provincial governor of Karbala, Ali al-Mayaali, meanwhile has confirmed that 30000 security forces and police are ensuring the security and safety of the Arbaeen mourners and pilgrims. Al-Mayaali also said 21000 vehicles have been set aside for transportation of the pilgrims, and 10000 resting stations known as 'Moukab' are providing refreshments, food and drink for the mourners and pilgrims.
It is worth noting that 104 foreign correspondents and reporters in addition to 670 Iraqi correspondents and journalists are covering this year's Arbaeen mourning ceremonies in Iraq.
Arbaeen is the 40th day after the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (peace be upon him), the third Imam of Shiite Muslims, and the third infallible successor to Prophet Mohammad (Blessings of God upon him and his progeny). Imam Hussein (PBUH), his family members and companions (peace be upon them), were martyred in the desert of Karbala (in modern day Iraq) in the year 61 A.H.
Today, Tuesday, 20th Saffar 1440 on the Islamic lunar Calendar, corresponding to 30th October 2018, is the "day of Arbaeen", marking 40 days after the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (peace be upon him).
According to official Iraqi announcements, last year 14 million mourners and pilgrims converged on the city of Karbala for Arbaeen mourning ceremonies, and this year at least 15 million mourners and pilgrims entered Karbala.