25 deaths in a terrorist attack on a military parade in Ahvaz, have been officially confirmed by Khuzestan province deputy governor.

Iran Press/Irannews: Sixty other people have been injured in the terrorist attack in Ahvaz.

A few hours ago, Khuzestan province deputy governor Ali-Hossein Hosseinzadeh said in an interview with ISNA News Agency that 25 people have been killed and 60 other people have been injured in the military parade in Ahvaz.

"One reporter is among the casualties of the attacks'", Hosseinzadeh noted.Also one child has been killed in the attack.

A militant group, known as the Arab Struggle Movement for the Liberation of Ahvaz claimed responsibility for the attack.

Most of the casualties of Ahvaz terrorist attack are civilians.

Iranian forces killed three of the terrorists in a clash after the attack, and a remaining terrorist died in hospital.

The terrorist group responsible for the attack is the same group that targeted Rahian-e Noor convoys visiting Iran-Iraq war sites last year.

The terrorist group is known to have received extensive support from both London and Riyadh.

Meanwhile, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) spokesman Ramezan Sharif said the attackers were affiliated to a terrorist group supported by Saudi Arabia.  

"The individuals who fired at the people and the armed forces during the parade are connected to the al-Ahvaziya group which is fed by Saudi Arabia," he said.

Sharif said the shooting is not unprecedented and the group which is also supported by the UK has attacked convoys of those visiting the former frontlines of Saddam's war on Iran in recent years.

At least eight members of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) have been killed in Saturday's terrorist atrocity in Ahvaz.

The terrorists began shooting from behind the stand during the military parade.

Similar powerful military parades are held in different cities of Iran and the terrorist attack in Ahvaz is expected to have no effect on future military parades.

The attack comes after a US-backed campaign to stir up unrest in Iranian cities fell flat. The effort, known as the Hot Summer Project, sought to whip up public anger over water and electricity shortages in the face of a protracted drought.  

Read More:

Iran will respond "swiftly and decisively" to military parade attack: Zarif

President Rouhani: Iran's response to any threat will be decisive and harsh

Tags

Sep 22, 2018 09:29 Asia/Tehran
Comments