Trump administration to rush nuclear technology to Saudis
The new report from the House Oversight and Reform Committee reveals that Trump administration officials have tried to transfer nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia.
Iran Press/America: Trump administration sought to rush the transfer of American nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia in potential violation of the law, a from the House Oversight and Reform Committee revealed.
Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings's staff issued an 'interim staff' report Tuesday, citing 'multiple whistle blowers' who raised ethical and legal concerns about the process, reported Iran Press.
The committee's report said that the major drivers behind the effort to transfer of U.S. nuclear technology were retired Gen. Michael Flynn, who served as the president's national security adviser, and Thomas Barrack, who chaired the Trump inaugural committee. Flynn was fired in February 2017 for lying about conversations with the Russian Ambassador to Vice President Pence and the F.B.I.
For roughly seven months in 2016, including during the presidential transition, Flynn served as an adviser to IP3 International, a private company seeking to build nuclear plants in Saudi Arabia.
The Move contradicts US Atomic Energy Act
The Atomic Energy Act requires that Congress approve any transfer of nuclear technology to a foreign country. The committee's report states that a senior director at the National Security Council (NSC), Derek Harvey, "reportedly ignored... warnings and insisted that the decision to transfer nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia had already been made."
The NSC's lawyers realized that Flynn had a possible conflict of interest that could violate the law, the whistleblowers said, and told NSC staff to stop working on the nuclear technology transfer plan. Despite Flynn's firing in February 2017, the plan appeared to continue to progress with Barrack's support.
The committee announced intends to launch an investigation into this matter "to determine whether the actions being pursued by the Trump administration are in the national security interests of the United States, or, rather, serve those who stand to gain financially as a result of this potential change in U.S. foreign policy."
Shortly after the release of the report, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif, announced that his panel would be coordinating with Cummings' to explore more about these findings.
White House threatens to veto US Congress
The new interim report from the House Oversight committee has been revealed only one week after Trump administration threatened on Monday February 12, to veto an effort in the US Congress to end military support for the Saudi Arabia-led war in Yemen.
This is while Democrats and Republicans re-introduced the war powers resolution two weeks ago as a way to send a strong message to Riyadh both about the humanitarian disaster in Yemen and condemn the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
They intend to take up the resolution, continuing a stand-off with the White House over policy toward the kingdom.
“It’s hard to feel any affection or some obligation to a regime that does that kind of stuff,” Democratic Representative Ed Perlmutter said at a House of Representatives hearing on the resolution on Monday.
The Saudis, who Trump considers an important regional partner, are leading a deadly unwarranted war against the Yemeni people. The war has killed tens of thousands of innocent Yemenis and left millions on the brink of starvation.
Further More, Donald Trump in his State of the Union speech on Tuesday February 5, while addressing both houses of the Congress, called Iran 'the world’s leading state sponsor of terror' and a 'corrupt dictatorship' which wants to 'acquire nuclear weapons.' But as Iran's Foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has said USA has been always the main supporter of the dictators like Saudi Arabia and extremists in the region and across the world and also backing terrorist groups such as ISIS in Iraq and Syria.203