Feb 13, 2019 18:18 Asia/Tehran
  • Warsaw meeting

Iranian Foreign Minister said Wednesday that hostile anti-Iran meeting in Warsaw was "dead on arrival".

Iran Press/Iran news: "It is another attempt by the United States to pursue an obsession with Iran that is not well-founded," Mohammad Javad Zarif told a Tehran news conference on Wednesday.

"The Warsaw conference, I believe, is dead on arrival," he added according to Iran Press.

"I think the fact that they are not aiming to issue any agreed text but rather are just attempting to use their own statement on behalf of everybody else shows they don't have any respect for it themselves," Iranian Foreign Minister said.

Iranian top diplomat noted, "You usually don't bring 60 countries and states together in order to speak for them. That indicates to you that they don't believe they have anything to gain from this meeting."

Zarif said most of the states going to the conference were doing so due to pressure from the United States.

"They used their money, they used their influence, they used the military might of the United States," he said.

"They used the leverage they have with various countries in order to attract more people to this conference. Many (countries) going there have told us that (they) don't have any other choice," the foreign minister added.

The US-sponsored two-day conference on the Middle East region kicked off in Warsaw on Wednesday.

The meeting, which is to convene in the Polish capital, was announced by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last month.

Iran has already dismissed the Warsaw meeting, saying it is "a failure in advance" given the low-level participation due by global actors. 101

Read More:

US-led confab in Warsaw: A gamble doomed to failure

 

Tags

Comments