• US role in Yemeni kids massacre has been confirmed

CNN has confirmed a bomb killed dozens of Yemeni children had been supplied by US

Iran Press- munitions experts told CNN "The bomb used by the Saudi-led coalition in a devastating attack on a school bus in Yemen was sold as part of a US State Department-sanctioned arms deal with Saudi Arabia".

The experts said on Friday that the bomb was a 227-kilogram laser-guided Mark 82 bomb.They also noted that the numbers on the weapon identified major US military contractor Lockheed Martin as its maker.

The Saudis dropped the bomb on school bus in August 9 as it drove through a market in the town of Dhahyan, sparking outrage from international human rights groups and UN officials.

 

The attack killed a total of 51 people, among them 40 children, and left 79 others wounded. 

Earlier this week, a local journalist said recovered bomb fragments showed that it was likely manufactured in the US.

Riyadh initially described the Sa'ada strike as a "legitimate military action," but later launched an investigation into the incident amid mounting criticism of its bloody war on Yemen.

Asked about CNN's report, Saudi "coalition" spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki said that it would not "be appropriate for the coalition to comment further while the investigation is underway."

The report also said that the bomb used in the Sa'ada airstrike was very similar to the one that hit a funeral hall in the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, in October 2016, killing 155 people and injuring 525 others.

In December that year, the US cancelled the sale of precision-guided munitions to Saudi Arabia because of concerns about civilian casualties. In March 2017, however, the US administration under President Donald Trump overturned the ban.

On Friday, thousands of Yemenis took to the streets of Sana'a to condemn the economic hardship caused by the US-backed Saudi war.

Aug 18, 2018 17:42 Asia/Tehran
Comments