Feb 12, 2019 12:26 Asia/Tehran
  • Acting Pentagon chief: No orders to reduce forces in Afghanistan

Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, in a meeting with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, said he has no instructions from Washington to begin a withdrawal.

Iran Press/Asia: This is while, Pat Shanahan, the recently appointed acting secretary of defense, had earlier said that 7000 US troops would withdraw from Afghanistan.

Related news: 

Trump orders US military withdrawal from Afghanistan

Shanahan also met acting Afghan Defense Minister, Asadollah Khaled in Kabul to discuss bilateral ties, AP reported.

The Pentagon's top official made the unannounced visit to Afghanistan on Monday to meet with U.S. commanders on the ground and Afghan officials amid a push for peace with the Taliban.

Political analysts believe that most of the security problems of Afghanistan will be solved when US military forces withdraw from the country.  103/211 /213/104

 

Read more:

Pompeo claims US is serious about peace in Afghanistan

US withdrawal, a chance to strengthen Afghanistan's defense capabilities: Shamkhani

Tags

Comments