Mass graves of ethnic clashes' victims discovered in western Congo
An investigation by UN in the western part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), has unearthed mass graves of latest ethnic clashes between two tribes which killed hundreds of people.
Iran Press/Africa: An investigation led by UN in the western part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), has unearthed mass graves of latest ethnic clashes between 2 tribes which resulted in the killing of hundreds of people.
Hundreds of villagers from four communities in Yumbi had been killed during inter-ethnic clashes between the Banunu and Batende communities in several days beginning from 16 December 2018, a statement issued by the UN team indicate on Wednesday.
According to a BBC report, the results of the investigation of UN team from the Joint UN Human Rights Office (UNJHRO) and UN mission in DRC (MONUSCO) about the mass killings in December indicated that the bodies of at least 535 people have been found.
A dispute over the burial of a chief of Banunu tribe triggered ethnic clashes and organized mass killings, says UN official.
A total of 59 burial sites were found in two of the attacked towns in the region, while at least 535 civilians were killed and 111 others injured in a total of four attacks.
The UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said hundreds of villagers from four communities in Yumbi had been killed during inter-ethnic clashes between the Banunu and Batende communities in several days beginning on 16 December 2019.
The graves were dug by local Red Cross workers and family members who had fled the region.
Nearly 16,000 people fled Yumbi and its adjoining areas following the clashes.
A UN statement said: There has been no confirmation of exactly who carried out the killings [...] the attacks were conducted in an organized and planned manner, and were extremely violent and fast, leaving little time for the populations to flee."
It also informed that 967 properties, including churches, schools, and health centers were looted or destroyed, and at least 363 boats were destroyed.
Some 7,000 persons took refuge by crossing the river into the Republic of Congo, the UN said. 205/211/103